The Month of January is usually a period of critical blood shortages. Potential blood donors are busy settling back in to school/work routines after the holidays. Cold and flu season keeps donors away and sometimes blood drives are canceled due to snow and inclement weather.
More than 50 years ago—on Dec. 31, 1969—the president of the United States (Nixon) signed a proclamation designating January as National Blood Donor Month. The new monthly observance was meant to honor voluntary blood donors and encourage more people to give blood at a time when more blood is needed.
Will you celebrate National Blood Donor month by giving blood at Seattle Rep in the PONCHO Forum on Thursday, Jan. 26?
Sign Up & Important Details
PONCHO Forum at Seattle Rep
155 Mercer St., Seattle, WA 98109
Enter through the main Patron Services Office entrance at the corner of 2nd Ave N. and Mercer St. Find directions and parking information here.
COVID Safety Information
- All donations are by appointment only. The one hour donation appointment is a safe and essential action to support local hospitals and patients. No walk-ins, guests, or people under age 16 are permitted onsite. Bloodworks pop-up centers are being conducted in accordance with social distancing guidelines.
- All donors are required to wear masks during their appointment.
- Hand sanitizer and restrooms will be available at all times.
- There is no wait to donate if you receive the Pfizer Moderna, Johnson & Johnson/Janssen, Novovax, or AstraZeneca COVID vaccine
- Read more about Bloodworks' COVID safety measures and vaccine guidelines here.
Need help booking your appointment or additional information? Contact Bloodworks Northwest at 1.800.398.7888 or visit www.bloodworksnw.org.
Advocate: Federal Blood Donation Eligibility
We feel the need to acknowledge the ways in which federal blood donation eligibility criteria discriminates against certain members of the LGBTQ+ community, especially gay, bisexual, and pansexual men. There are several ongoing advocacy efforts to address these policies.
If you are ineligible to donate blood, you may be eligible to join the Be The Match registry for blood stem cell donations. Find out more and register here.
About Bloodworks Northwest
Bloodworks Northwest is an independent, non-profit organization harnessing donor gifts to provide a safe, lifesaving blood supply to 95% of hospitals in the Pacific Northwest.