For a sixth year, Seattle Rep will join colleagues in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, New York, Los Angeles, Portland, Dallas, and Greensboro to present the national August Wilson Monologue Competition. This competition is an opportunity for high school students to perform an August Wilson monologue for a chance to win cash prizes and a trip to New York City.
Students prepare a monologue from playwright August Wilson’s Century Cycle, a collection of ten plays representing 100 years of the African American experience. Seattle Rep will host workshops in the winter at which time all eligible contestants can learn more about the competition, select a monologue from Mr. Wilson’s Century Cycle, and receive coaching from theatre professionals.
Important Dates All workshops and competitions take place at Seattle Repertory Theatre.
- Choose Your Monologue Workshop: December 5
- Coaching Workshop: January 17
- Coaching Workshop: January 23
- Coaching Workshop: January 30
- Coaching Workshop: February 6
- Coaching Workshop: February 13
- Coaching Workshop: February 20
- Preliminaries: February 27 and 28
- Seattle Finals: March 10
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org